The Executive Chairman of Etsako East Local Government Council Hon. (Princess) Benedicta Ebuehi, on 29th of January, 2021 announced the set up of an Economic Team for the Council under her watch.
She made this information available to the press after a brief meeting with the stakeholders from across various communities within the Local Government Area. This action was necessitated by the recent global activities that has crippled major World Economies, most especially due to the Covid-19 pandemic and lockdown. The team which was inaugurated today 01/02/2021, is to help create alternative sources of generating income for the smooth governance of the Council in view of the dwindling allocation from the State to LG in recent time.
At the inauguration, Hon. (Princess) Benedicta Ebuehi said she and the entire people of EELGC trust in the capacity of the members of the team to deliver on the mandate bestowed on them.
In her inauguration remarks she said “we are currently faced with daunting economic and resource deployment challenges due to dwindling allocations and revenue generation all occasioned by the global economic downturn due majorly to the Covid-19 pandemic which has negatively impacted on international trading and businesses. The need to get creative and its urgency, is now!
Etsako East Local Government Council has borne its own brunt of the current realities. But as a responsible government, we will continue to push the envelope for greater attainments. Realising the need to work as a collective, the idea of setting up a local Economic Team was born”
The members are:
- Mr. Osilama Okuofu – Chairman
- Mr. Lukman Akemokue – Member
- Mr. Ibrahim Abdulsalim – Member
- Mrs. Felicity Okpo-Obaje – Member
- Mr. Lucas Arewah – Secretary.
This is a growing list as more additions could be made as the need and opportunity presents itself.
Terms Of Reference:
1) to identify sources of funds and funders from within indigenes of the local government and corporate organisations, etc.
2) to identify development projects for the local government area
3) meeting periodically to discuss issues affecting the economic interest of the local government
4) to organise economic summits to attract both finance and projects.
5) shall report all activities to the local government Chairman at least quarterly or as the need arises
6) the local government Chairman shall be the superintending officer, in terms of general policies, appointment of members and dismissal of same where necessary
7) and any other duties
It is pertinent to state for the records that this is strictly Pro Bono as the members have agreed to serve their people in this capacity without expectations of remuneration.
This team brings a huge wealth of knowledge and experience to bear to this assignment and I believe they will add value. I owe them a debt of gratitude for agreeing to make themselves available on behalf of the good people of Etsako East Local Government Area.
Join me in congratulating them.
While thanking the Council Chairman for the opportunity to serve the people of Etsako East, Osilama Okuofu assured her that the assembled team would deliver on the expectations as outlined in the Terms of Reference. He expressed confidence in the team make-up stating the quality has no business not adding value given their wealth of information, knowledge and experience.
The committee commenced deliberations immediately.